I attended a Zoom with THE Dr. Dennis Gross, and here’s what I learned about adult acne
If you’ve held a conversation with me about skincare, chances are that Dr. Dennis Gross skincare has come up. The man is an icon, and the authority on all things acne. I adore the SpotLite device – an LED wand that all but banishes a spot overnight. It’s a game changer.
Naturally, I JUMPED at the chance to attend a Zoom with the doctor himself to talk through the new Breakout Clearing Gel.
Here’s what I learned;
- Acne has 4 contributing factors – a blocked pore, the individual’s oil chemistry, activity of c. acnes bacteria, and inflammation.
- The new Dr. Dennis Gross Breakout Clearing Gel addresses all 4 contributors to acne, and can help with all forms from mild congestion to severe and cystic acne.
- It’s a treatment product for acne prevention, best applied daily and all over the acne-prone area.
- Don’t just spot treat – an acne lesion that appeared today has been brewing for 1-2 weeks, so we need to address the cause to prevent more.
- The oil glands in our skin have hormone receptors, and hormonal fluctuations change the chemistry of our sebum, making it thicker and more likely to clog a pore.
- For hormonal acne, treat the affected area all month long – those spots have been brewing for a little while!
- Sticking to oil-free products can help if you’re acne-prone.
- Whilst scientific links between diet and acne severity are tenuous, if minimising sugar consumption helps you then by all means, continue!
- Dr. Dennis Gross’s Spectralite Faceware Pro and Spotlite utilise both blue and red LED light.
Blue light is scientifically proven to destroy acne bacteria, and red light helps soothe inflammation and stimulates collagen.
- The red LED light can even help improve the appearance acne scarring, as a scar is a loss of collagen.
- To prevent maskne (breakouts related to mask-wearing), use as few products as possible during the day.
- The Breakout Clearing Gel works better when used once per day, not twice, and Dr. Gross recommends using in the PM.
- The best order for your skincare products is;
Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Peel (optional!)
Breakout Clearing Gel,
Such a genius, right?
The Breakout Clearing Gel has a stellar ingredient list, too. Of course.
For exfoliating: salicylic, phytic and glycolic acids,
For brightening: niacinamide, ferulic acid, glutathione, retinol, and potassium azeloyl diglycinate (a potent derivative of azelaic acid),
For hydration: glycerin and hyaluronic acid,
And for soothing: green tea, bisabolol, and vitamin E.
Dr Dennis Gross’ new Breakout Clearing Gel is available from August 25th at Mecca Cosmetica, for $64.